28 October, 2010

Jess Franco Halloween Horrors: EXORCISME/EXORCISME ET MESSES NOIRES (1974)

Mathis Vogel (Jess Franco) is a frustrated writer who embarks on a murder spree in Paris, killing young females and then attempting to sell his real life murder tales to an S&M magazine. In the meantime, a satanic cult comes to his attention....

This grim 1974 title was later reedited into THE SADIST OF NOTRE DAME (1979). The opening sequence featuring Lina Romay being flogged and the scenes of satanic rites are very effective. Franco's performance as the killer is indelible.

3 comments:

Douglas A. Waltz said...

I think SADIST is more representative of a realistic story. Just from the ending. Exorcism ends like an action movie with a shoot out and a dead Vogel. SADIST has them lead him out of the church when he is refused sanctuary and he is taken away to prison I would assume.

sexykino said...

I've never seen the SADIST version. EXORCISM is one of my favorite exploitation films. I like how it manages to be genuinely creepy & downbeat, but also absurdly comic - even satirical at times. With a dollop of Gothic sleaze for good measure. I think only Franco could manage such a concoction.

Robert Monell said...

I like both versions but I prefer EXORCISM a bit more. I like the Gothic sleaze as sexykino notes and the jetblack humor.