11 May, 2017

GOLDEN AGE OF SPANISH HORROR Debuts!

Review and Interview with Mirek Lipinski:
Publication preview
Issue #1 of the new magazine, GOLDEN AGE OF SPANISH HORROR, is now available for order. The unique 32 page publication is the only English language magazine devoted exclusively to Spanish Horror cinema. The cover image is a high contrast posed shot from Jess Franco's iconic 1961 Spanish Horror classic, GRITOS EN LA NOCHE aka THE AWFUL DR. ORLOF. A colorful Jano poster for Franco's 1973 UN SILENCIO DE TUMBA graces the back cover. It's published and edited by Paul Naschy expert and Latarnia Intenational creator Mirek Lipinski. 

It opens with a quote about "tragic eroticism" and "pain and blood" from Baron Von Klaus himself. An appropriate epigraph. An editorial correctly states that Spanish Horror has been underrepresented in conversations about Euro-Horror and offers an appreciation of the dark legacies of those films, this is set  against an inside spread of Bruegel's THE TRIUMPH OF DEATH. The contents proceed with an article on the emergence of Dorado Films, who earlier this year released the first Blu-ray presentations of Jess Franco's THE SILENCE OF THE TOMB and THE SINISTER EYES OF DR. ORLOFF, followed by a thoughtful essay on Spanish horror films currently in demand and in release. There is a review of Kino Lorber's recent Blu-ray of DR. ORLOFF'S MONSTER and a note on upcoming Franco DVDs.

An informative 3 page illustrated spread on Spanish actor Julian Ugarte (FANGS OF THE LIVING DEAD, FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR) reveals his presence in some unexpected places. Equally interesting is a preview of Lipinski's upcoming book, PAUL NASCHY: A LIFE ON THE SCREEN, with information on Naschy's role in a vintage episode of the US television series I SPY.


Two articles on Ray Danton's 1973 vampire film, CRYPT OF THE LIVING DEAD, a review by George R. Reis of the Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray and a well researched essay on the mystery of who actually directed the film, provide some important information on this Drive-In oddity. There's also a review of the album of Phillip Lambro's effective score for the film.

Several pages of full color adverts and promos for Naschy's HUNCHBACK OF THE MORGUE and Amando de Ossorio's LAS GARRAS DE LORELEI provide welcome eye candy. Also included are brief picture profiles of Spanish horror actresses Dianik Zurakowska (the heroine of Naschy's first werewolf epic, LA MARCA DEL HOMBRE LOBO ) and Patty Shepard, the US born actress who appeared as the iconic vampire woman in Leon Klimovksy's WEREWOLF SHADOW (1970), the film that sparked the Spanish Horror boom.. The magazine concludes with a very welcome inclusion of F.G. Loring's atmospheric 1900 vampire story, THE TOMB OF SARAH, the uncredited source material for CRYPT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

All this and more make this a must-have for fans of Euro-Gothic in general and Spanish Horror in particular. It's well laid out and filled with concise, intriguing articles. The magazine is lavishly illustrated with black and white and color photos, artwork, vintage posters and adverts. I had the chance to ask Mirek Lipinski a few questions about the genesis and future of the publication: 

Q: What was the inspiration for this magazine?

A: A few things--if I remember. I liked the old CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN magazine.

Q: What will be your publishing schedule?

A: There is no set release date for GOLDEN AGE OF SPANISH HORROR, Whenever, though I am working on the second issue and may have it ready in a couple of months.

Q: How did you start out compiling it?

A: The magazine was started when I took out of the closet all of my Naschy and Spanish Horror collections, and I realized I had a lot! I also knew I would not last forever--a point driven home to me when I had a health scare last year. For a moment I thought I was dying, but I'm alright now, of course. I wanted to get out as much as possible. I have a lot of information in my head and also a lot in my collection and this needed to see the light of day. Also, I haven't done a magazine in a long, long while and Golden Age was like a refresher course. I had to relearn stuff, like In Design, that I had forgotten. So the first issue was a challenge, even though people may not consider it that way. Also, there is a lot of Spanish Horror coming out on Blu-ray this year. That was not a deciding factor, but I was aware of it. I'm one not to judge these things harshly, even though I have my likes and dislikes. I love the genre, actually, so writing about it, and producing a magazine is easy, except for the effort involved in putting something tangible out there. 

Q: I can't think of any other magazines dealing exclusively with Spanish Horror, at least not in English.

A: I think the magazine is the only English language magazine dealing with Spanish Horror, its Golden Age. I have a lot of ideas and am looking forward to actualizing them.

Thanks to Mirek Lipinski


(C) Robert Monell, 2017

No comments: