27 July, 2009

The Image of Robert de Nesle


100 proof Jess Franco and a 100% Robert de Nesle production...


The de Nesle family coat-of-arms....





Robert de Nesle employee Gianfrano Parolini aka Frank Kramer


C.F.F.P. co production with Artur Brauner

From the days of the early 1960's sword and sandal adventures to XXX Euro-hardcore sleaze of the mid 1970's Robert de Nesle knew where the money was...

Between 1970 and 1978 the legendary French producer Robert de Nesle produced/coproduced numerous Jess Franco-directed features. I had information that the producer died in 1978. I would appreciate it if anyone could confirm or correct his death date. Also, I have never seen a photo of the man himself. I did have an interesting discussion about Robert with Jess Franco a few years ago. Jess respected him as a business partner who gave him regular employment through the 1970s, while often demanding that he deform [for the French hardcore sex theatrical market] such masterworks as AL OTRO LADO DEL ESPEJO and LA COMTESSE PERVERSE (both 1973). Franco has some perceptive things to say about him in the interview available on the X- RATED KULT DVD of LA FILLE DE DRACULA. He refers to him as "the Baron" relating him to Europe's fuedal past.

It's difficult to be sure, but it's possible that COCKTAIL SPECIAL, a 1978 hardcore version of Sade's PHILOSOPHY IN THE BEDROOM, was the producer's swansong. Anyone who helped produce THE THREE FANTASTIC SUPERMEN (1967), Georges Franju's JUDEX (1963), Riccardo Freda's MEXICAN SLAYRIDE (1967) and Franco's LORNA, THE EXORCIST can't be all bad. He also made a fortune with such peplum titles as FURY OF HERCULES (1961) and HERCULES VS THE SONS OF THE SUN (1964).

If anyone can locate an image of M. de Nesle please contact my email via my FACEBOOK badge at left.

Thanks to Bertrand for providing the image of Gianfranco Parolini.





3 comments:

Keith said...

Great post. I always learn so much about Franco and those he worked with from your blog. I've seen maybe ten Franco movies, but I definitely want to see much more. Have a wonderful day.

Keith said...

Hey there. Make sure you stop by my Sugar & Spice blog for my Friday post. I gave you some awards. Your blog is awesome. You definitely deserve it. Have a great Friday and weekend. Cheers!

Robert Monell said...

Thanks for the positive feedback, Keith!